My experience and qualifications relevant to my role on City Council
Council and Regional Roles during Time in Office
- Mayor, December, 2012 to 2018
- Councilmember, 2008 - 2012, including Mayor Pro Tem from 2009
- President, Monterey Peninsula Regional Water Authority
- President for 2017-18, Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- Member of the Monterey County Mayor's Association (chair from 2013 -2014)
- Member of the Monterey County Mayor's Selection Committee (chair from 2013 - 2014)
- Representive to the Fort Ord Reuse Authority (FORA)
- Council Liaison to the Economic Development Committee
- Board Member, Monterey County Airport Land Use Commission (2013 - 2017)
- Council Liaison to the Planning Commission and to the Architectural Review Board
Activities in Pacific Grove
- Former member, Beautification and Natural Resources Committee (Trees for
PG, Tree Permit update, recycling education, seal policy.)
- Member of PG Rotary
- Volunteer: Good Old Days, July 4 in the Park, PG Auto Rally
- Homeowner in PG since 2003.
- Veteran of HRC, ARB, Planning Commission, and City Council
processes during a remodel
- Recreational photographer.
- Assistant and webmaster for my wife in her
art. Check out
- 35 years with Hewlett-Packard Company and Agilent Technologies in senior
- Most recent position: Director of Customer and Quality Operations (now retired)
- Led Environmental, Health, and Safety Management (Recognized as #5 on list of top
100 global corporations for environmental responsibility, per Business Ethics Magazine)
- Led process and product quality programs
- Established Customer and Client satisfaction programs - Our company consistently led
- Established the Agilent Innovation and Recognition Program
- Prior positions included Group Marketing Manager, Corporate Marketing Services Manager, Division Marketing Manager
- Served triple duty as a function transition lead during the separation of Agilent Technologies from Hewlett-Packard Company:
Marketing, Sales, plus Branding and Labeling Transitions
- Member of the San Jose Downtown Redevelopment Committee, 1980 - This
committee transformed the seedy heart of the town into an
attractive place to visit, while retaining the historic assets
of the city.
- 3 years service with the U.S. Navy; Vietnam era veteran
- Education: M.I.T. graduate degrees in Engineering and Business
Public Official of the Year for 2018
In March of 2019 I was surprised to be named Public Official of the Year for 2018 by the Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce. I felt
honored during my time in office to have worked with so many talented and dedicated public officials, both elected and their agency staffs,
and members of our business community and the engaged members of the public at large.
Whatever successes I have been a part of in serving the interests of our communities, I owe much to those colleagues
who have also toiled to make our Peninsula the best place it can be.
Thank you to the Chamber, and to the colleagues who have shared so much inspiration for the future.